False Codling Moth
Scientific Name:Thaumatotibia leucotreta
Identification and Damage
• FCM adult are small in size, 7-9mm in length and a wing span of 15 to 16mm for males and 19 to 20mm for females.
• The moths are nocturnal (fly at night).
• The colour varies from brown, grey, black with brown-orange markings.
• The adult lay eggs on the fruits surface which hatch, penetrate and develop with the avocado. This creates tunnels on the fruit and larvae leaves frass (Faecal material) at the exit point. The fruits become unmarketable.
• Fifth instar (Final instar) exists the fruit and pupate on the ground in the top layers of the soil.